Planning Your Upgrade for Dynamics SL
Posted by Jen Bieker on January 25, 2016
Most businesses, at some point, have skipped an ERP software upgrade. We struggle with the balance between keeping up with technology, gaining the benefits of enhancements, vs. having to possibly do things a little differently.
Quite honestly, most organizations upgrade because they have to, in order to continue their annual maintenance and support, not because they want the latest and greatest.
No matter which category you fall into, a well-planned upgrade can save you headaches, prevent problems, and ultimately grow your business.
Here’s what you need to think about for upgrading Dynamics SL.
First, if you are on Dynamics SL 2011 or earlier, Microsoft is discontinuing support.
What does this mean?
Support is still available if you have an issues with SL 2011, but with these changes:
1. Hot fixes are generally not created for products in extended support
2. Year-end updates are not created
Key New Features in Dynamics SL 2015:
There are lots of improvements and added features in Dynamics SL 2015. Here are a few we think you’ll be most interested in.
Microsoft Dynamics SL 2015 has 3 major areas of enhancements:
1. Work productivity – work from anywhere on any device with web apps, including more flexible time entry options, the ability to attach expense receipts, project and budget maintenance and inquiries, and an interactive resource management dashboard. Also, our favorite, unlimited report formats.
2. Delivery of information across your organization – new customizable themes, Sharepoint integration, source code for web apps, and don’t forget, multi-currency and multi-company area enhancements.
3. And more flexible integration with other systems - such as two-way integration with Microsoft Project, extensible web services, system manager to help you import and integrate information from other systems, and a Dynamics CRM connector.
In addition, you now have the ability to deploy Dynamics SL in the cloud and integrate with Office 365. There are more web apps for mobile devices, project analysis, project maintenance, project approvals, and even more to be released Q1 2016 with Dynamics SL 2015 R2. Don’t forget about the major improvements to the reporting and financial capabilities.
To read more details on these and other new features and enhancements, please visit our blog posts at:
- Microsoft Dynamics SL 2015 – Enhanced Features and Expanded Access
- Microsoft Dynamics SL 2015 Capabilities Guide
Talk to your Crestwood Account Manager today and let us help plan your Dynamics SL upgrade.
Contact us at Sales@Crestwood.com.