Many times, we think about upgrading versions of our software but just don’t take the time to do it. Don’t get caught with an unsupported version, you’ll miss out on important updates, hotfixes, and it could potentially cost you more in the end.
The new version, Dynamics GP 2018, was released in December 2017, and Dynamics SL 2018 will be released this May. Should you make the move? Here are some things to consider and planning tips.
Are you on an old version?
- Microsoft Mainstream Support ended for Dynamics SL 2011 in July of 2016, and ends for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013 on 4/10/2018, which means no more updates, including payroll and tax updates.
- Crestwood recommends that you do not fall more than two versions behind. With each new version, upgrades become more complicated and costly.
- Each new release of the software is included with your annual maintenance. The benefits of unused new versions can mean lost opportunities, cost savings, productivity and value to your business.
Is it time to replace your Dynamics server?
- Crestwood recommends a test upgrade in a fresh environment where your new version can be carefully tested prior to going live.
- Upgrading Dynamics is the perfect time to upgrade your server as well. Older equipment increases the risk of failure, and without a robust backup plan, disaster recovery can be expensive and disruptive.
- Consider moving your business systems to the Crestwood Cloud. Maintaining on premise servers is costly, especially up-front costs and our dedicated Cloud service provides better security and backup than any organization could provide on its own.
Do you have the budget?
- Most upgrades fall between 50-100 hours of planning, execution and go live support. Less complex upgrades can take less time.
- Crestwood has performed hundreds and hundreds of upgrades and we’ve got the process down to a science. After so much experience, we can provide fixed fee upgrade quotes in most cases. You’ll be able to budget precisely, we take on the financial risk, and you’ll have a promise… not just a guess.
- To receive a quote on upgrading your Dynamics GP or Dynamics SL solution, contact your Client Account Manager at Crestwood.
Are the new features beneficial for my business?
- Crestwood can provide you with detailed lists of all the new functionality that has been added with each new version; additionally, watch for Crestwood webinars and get a first look at new features.
- Upgrades are a perfect time to implement new modules, like Fixed Assets, electronic banking, dashboard reporting, and more.
- There are online videos, blogs and user group discussions on both CustomerSource and User Group forums (https://www.dslug.com and https://www.gpug.com/) discussing the best of what’s new.
How can I make sure my upgrade is successful?
- Business Process Review and Site Survey… Like going to the doctor for a checkup prior to a medical procedure, scheduling a site survey or business process review prior to your upgrade allows Crestwood to thoroughly review your system to eliminate surprises. The information gathered will also help Crestwood’s support desk assist you when needed going forward.
- Preparation is key… Crestwood’s project managers and upgrade experts will work with you to carefully plan your upgrade including system requirements, integrations, customizations, ISV products, training and go live support.
- Testing, testing, testing… Crestwood provides UAT (user acceptance testing) scripts so that every process, report and device is functioning properly, prior to going live. The more thorough the testing, the more successful your results.
- Set expectations… Your ERP system is completely unique. Your specific environment, users, data, software and needs are different than any other business. Expect that some adjustments may need to be made after your upgrade to get more complex functionality working perfectly.
Should you upgrade to Dynamics 2018? YES! Want to find out more as to what the upgrade process entails? Read details on Dynamics GP and Dynamics SL upgrades from two of our experts.