Dynamics GP Web Services Not Working

Recently, we received a call from a client that their Microsoft Dynamics GP web services stopped working.  Additionally, they weren’t able to get into the Dynamics Security console either.

The Problem:
When clicking “Select Applications” the message would appear in the lower left corner “Action: In progress…” and nothing further would appear.

Browsing to the Dynamics GP Web Service URLs would also result in a page cannot be displayed error.  However, services started like normal, and no errors were found in the event logs.

The Fix:

Here’s what I tried first:

  • Uninstalling and re-installing
  • Removing the anti-virus
  • Then, working with Microsoft Support to troubleshoot.Finally, I discovered that the server’s IP address had been changed around the time the services stopped working.  The fix was very simple.  When I did a ping to the server name, it resolved to the OLD server IP address.So, I reviewed the HOSTS file on the server (located in the %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\ folder) and discovered it had been modified at some point in the past to reference the old IP address with the server name.

    I simply cleared the outdated records from the HOSTS file, and then DNS was able to properly resolve to the server’s NEW IP address.  After the HOSTS file was fixed, web services URLs all worked fine and we were able to get into the Dynamics Security Console without errors.

When a problem occurs, it is often linked to some sort of change that was made or a software install.  If you have questions or need some assistance, visit our support page for more help.  Please remember to provide all details on any changes made recently, as these can be critical to helping solve a support case as quickly as possible.

Leave a Reply